LONDON, United Kingdom — Prince Andrew arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, has triggered a formal police investigation, with Buckingham Palace signaling that the legal process will proceed independently.
Thames Valley Police confirmed Wednesday that a man in his sixties from Norfolk was taken into custody as part of an ongoing probe. Authorities did not officially name the suspect, citing national guidance and the active status of the case.
Police said searches are being conducted at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man remains in custody.
“We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance,” the force said. “Please also remember that this case is now active, so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court.”
Misconduct inquiry deepens after Prince Andrew arrested
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said the investigation was launched following what he described as a thorough assessment of allegations tied to misconduct in public office.
“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,” Wright said.
“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
Misconduct in public office is a serious offense under United Kingdom law. It typically applies to public officials accused of abusing their authority or breaching the trust placed in them. Convictions can carry custodial sentences depending on the gravity of the findings.
Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, stepped back from official royal duties in recent years following separate controversies. He has previously denied wrongdoing in unrelated matters and has not issued a public statement in response to the arrest.
King Charles III, speaking briefly during a public engagement, said the law must take its course, underscoring that the matter is now in the hands of investigators.
Legal analysts note that an arrest on suspicion does not constitute a charge. Authorities must determine whether sufficient evidence exists before any prosecutorial decision is made.
The development has drawn widespread media attention across the United Kingdom, with live updates provided by BBC News as the investigation continues.
Police urged caution in public commentary and media reporting while the investigation remains active. Further updates are expected as inquiries continue.




























